Sunday, December 19, 2010

Merry Christmas one and all

I'd like to take this time to wish one and all in blogger land. This has got to one of my favorite time of year. I've had many wonderful memories of Christmas traditions. One of the fondest memory involves putting up the Christmas tree. My mom, dad and I, along with my brother and sister would dutifully make our way to the woods to cut down the best tree. My father usually scoped out the best ones in advance, but would always let the family pick out the one that we wanted. With a lot of labor, my father and brother would inch their way under the tree and cut the trunk. Later, again with a lot of effort, they would drag it to the living room and place it in the stand.

One year while decorating the tree, I asked my mom why we celebrate Christmas with a tree. This is what I learned: the evergreen color symbolizes everlasting love God had shown to us on the first Christmas. He sent His Son to the world to save us from sin and eternal damnation. The string of lights reminds us of the Light of the World came into a place full of darkness and despair. The angel we placed on the top bough represents the Heavenly Host sent to proclaim the Word becoming flesh to save the world. The tree itself also tells us that eventhough He came as a Baby gentle and loved, He would grow to die and horrible death, forsaken by His friends, so that all whom believe would have eternal life with Him.

Curious, I asked, why did we give gifts each year. She told me of the Wise men who gave gold, frankincense and myrrh to the child Jesus. Gold is for His Kingship, frankincense represents His everlasting preisthood, and myrrh tells of the sacrifice He would make for us all. I would later consider them

Please, tell me of your memories of Christmas. They can be anything you'd like to see posted.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment